03/01/2009

The Things I Now Know about...Nicholas Rowe

I see a lot of celebrities,

Okay, maybe that's not 100% accurate. I've seen a couple of celebrities since I've moved to London. I saw Amy Winehouse on the Northern line, messing with her fellas pork pie hat once. He had a distant look in his eyes, almost as if he was thinking "Okay, Back to Blacks selling awfully quickly & no one really has any idea what I actually do for a living - I can cope with this".

Mostly though, I tend to see a whole host of former, bit part or fringe celebrities. Today I was lucky enough to stumble across a real gem. Nicholas Rowe, I chiefly remember him from the 1985 art house smash, Young Sherlock Holmes. A poignant and heart wrenching tale of mystery, first love and ultimately...loss. There is also a scene a gravestone turns into a fridge and all the cakes come alive and start messing about with young Watson, something to do with mind bending, hallucinogenic Egyptian drugs & human sacrifice. All very much in line with the spirit of Doyle. For his part, Rowe takes the character of Holmes and delivers an aloof intellectual, bubbling with sexual intensity. He was also one of the stoners in Lock Stock, the one who got his foot blown off through the cage.

Here are the things I now know about Nicholas Rowe as of this afternoon:

  • He got on the Victoria line at Finsbury Park.
  • He's reading 'Things fall apart' by Chinua Achebe. I couldn't judge his reading speed, I am also equally unsure if this is a first time, or a re-read.
  • He had four sealed envelopes. Belated Christmas cards (I can only think of one person who could solve this problem...like the way he solved the mystery on his first day at boarding school - the clay was from the art department!)?
  • He's a tall chap, he had some black shoes on. They didn't really go with his jeans.
  • His wife puts a splash of lavender on their pillow every night*.

CX

*This is purely guesswork. I had to fight a powerful, sexual urge not to get off & follow him at Kings Cross.

3 comments:

Lee Jones said...

why does young Sherlock smoke a pipe?

Chris Cantrell & Jim Vanderpump said...

It's the only thing he could find that could quell his eyes for Watson (who has the look of a middle aged lady in this version).

RobW said...

You should have followed him.

Also you forget that time we all saw Prince -- or at least Anna did.