06/12/2008

Fighting birds


I just saw some crows fighting. It was awesome. One of the crows had the other pinned down and was going at his wings. They were huge and making a racket. It was amazing to see the brutality of the wilderness right there, near a bin.

It seems London animals are particularly violent. I am expecting to see some sparrows ganging up on a pidgeon, or a fox shoving about a rat.

And they are fearless. Last week, walking back from the tube, there was a squirrel just standing in the road, nibbling on something. I got closer and it didn't move. It was the first time I have ever thought 'wow, that's a hard squirrel'. I was expecting it to drop the food and mug me for the bit of sandwich I had left in my bag.

I think London animals just have attitude. Like seagulls do down in Newquay. And I like that. Fearless creatures just trying to get by in the big smoke, like the rest of us.

No comments: